Respiratory infections such as colds, coughs and the flu, affect the nose, throat and lungs. The germs (viruses and bacteria) that can cause these infections are spread person-to-person in the air or by physical contact. Tips to help prevent spreading germs or avoiding catching someone else's germs include:
Keep your germs to yourself:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your arm.
- Throw out used tissues in the trash as soon as you can.
- Always wash your hands after sneezing, blowing your nose, coughing, or after touching used tissues or handkerchiefs. Also wash often if you are sick.
- Use warm water and soap or alcohol-based hand sanitizers to wash your hands.
- Try to stay home if you have a cough or fever.
- See your doctor as soon as you can if you are feeling ill and follow their instructions.
- Do NOT share personal items, such as cigarettes, towels, lipstick, or anything that may be contaminated with respiratory germs.
- Do NOT share food, utensils, or beverage containers with others.
- Keep your immunizations current.
If you don't have insurance, NACO provides an easily printable discount card specified for a program in your area. Just visit this website http://www.rxprintacard.biz/naco/ to print your discount prescription card.