Office of Emergency Management
| Fire Safety
Emergency Instructions and Evacuation
- Remove anyone in the immediate area and close all doors as you leave.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station to evacuate the building and to notify the Fire Department.
- Use stairways, NOT elevators!
- If you hear a fire alarm, leave the building immediately. Always assume it is real until you are told otherwise by the proper authorities.
- As you leave, close the doors and windows behind you.
- If there is smoke or heat, stay low. Crawl to the nearest exit if need be.
- If your nearest exit is blocked by fire, smoke, or heat, go to an alternate exit.
- If heavy smoke is present, close the door and stay in the room.
- If the door is not hot, open it cautiously. Stand behind the door and be prepared to close it quickly if there is excessive smoke.
- If you are trapped:
- Call LSCS Police at x5911 from a campus phone and give your location. If you use a cell phone or non-LSCS telephone, call LSCS Police at (281) 290-5911.
- Place a blanket or similar article along the bottom of the door to keep smoke out. If possible, wet the material first.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a wet cloth.
- Retreat. Close as many doors between you and the fire as possible.
- Hang an item out the window to attract attention of rescue teams.
- Do NOT jump!
- Do NOT break open windows!
- If you must move through flames – hold your breath, move quickly, covering your head and hair. Keep your head down and close your eyes as much as possible.
- If your clothes catch fire “stop, drop, and roll” until the fire is out.
- Conduct a final search of the building if it is safe to do so.
- Leave the area by the nearest stairway that is clear of smoke.
- Assemble outside in a pre-designated area.
- Do not re-enter the building until notified to do so by the Fire Department.
- Follow the procedures in place to account for all employees after evacuating.
Fire Safety Directory (login required)