| Student Life
| LSC-Tomball Student Life
Student Leadership Council
The Student Leadership Council is a fun, energetic group of students representing the Lone Star College-Tomball student body. An SLC Member:
- Actively participates in SLC trainings
- Nurtures and prmotes a team atmosphere
- Is highly motivated and energetic
- Excels at meeting new peopl
- Is eager for new challenges and is able to learn from things and apply them quickly.
- Represents LSC-Tomball and the Office of Student Life in the best light.
- Provides motivation for both students and fellow SLC members.
- Evaluates programs and events with fellow SLC members.
- Provides ideas for future programs and events.
- Is a voice for the LSC-Tomball Student
Why join SLC?
Joining the Student Leadership Council is a fantastic way for you to get involved at LSC-Tomball and gain experience that will be beneficial to you throughout your education and beyond. The benefits of joining the SLC include:
- Making connections with faculty and staff on campus that could aid students in future endeavors.
- The opportunity to build a resume that includes leadership, community service, and team building accomplishments.
- The ability to help plan events on campus and make connections with fellow students.
- The opportunity to represent the LSC-Tomball student body to faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Being a part of a team that incluences and improves the LSC-Tomball campus and student body.
- Opportunity to travel to state and regional conferences.
- Getting involved and making a difference!
Apply Now to Be on the 2012-2013 Student Leadership Council
Friday, Sept. 21, 4 pm
The Student Leadership Council offers six committees comprised of a fun, energetic group of students representing the Lone Star College-Tomball student body. These committees are:
- Activities Committee: Are you interested in marketing or event planning? This committee is responsible for assisting the Office of Student Life and the Student Activities board with planning events on campus for the entire student body. They are included ini everything from the beginning stages of planning and promotion to the actual set-up and assistance at the event. Events include but are not limited to social events, educational events, cultural events, and community service oppurtunities in addition to the annual Trevorís Choice Awards banquet held in the spring.
- School Spirit Committee: Are you a sports fanatic who enjoys the rush of a game? This committee is made up of sports fans who are committed to promoting the LSC-Tomball sports teams and intramural programs. This committee helps determine what games or matches are held to what giveaways there are like pizza, t-shirts and more. This committee also creates spirit banners to keep the team spirit high and host dinners for our student athletes. Their goal is to try to get the word out about Timberwolf sporting events and cheering our teams on to district and league championships!
- Public Relations Committee: Do you have an interest in politics or journalism? This is the committee that provides updates on how current events are affecting the student body. This committee is also responsible for promoting the programs, events and activities the Student Leadership Council hosts on campus and in the community.
- Community Service Committee: Do you enjoy helping others through work and service? This committee gets other SLC members and student organization members across campus involved in making a difference in our community. Whether itís raising money for a good cause or dressing in Halloween costumes and hosting an alternative Halloween event, this is the group that makes a difference.
- Leadership Committee: This group is made up of the chairmen and co-chairmen of the other five committees. Their responsibilities include but are not limited to planning the meetings, sending e-mail reminders and posting Facebook reminders, as well as planning leadership training and fun social events for the rest of the Student Leadership Council. This committee also meets with our school President, Dr. Susan Karr to discuss issues affecting our students.
- Club Collaboration Committee: Collaborating with other student organizations on campus is vital to the success of the Student Leadership Council. This committee works closely with other leaders and representatives from other organizations on programs and events. This committee is also a resource for their fellow organizations to keep in communication with everything from event planning, promotion, mediation, other ways of communication, and the list goes on. The Club Collaboration Committee also hosts the monthly Club Council meetings which will be held on the last Monday of every month at 3pm in room N103. Each meeting consists of a leadership training activity, information exchange, and updates on what is happening on and around campus that affects the LSC-Tomball student body. If any of these committee sounds like something you would enjoy for the duration of the year, then please fill out the application and bring it to room C223 located at the second floor of the commons.
President: The president precides over all meetings and functions and is the voice of the Student Leadership Council. The president serves as a "cheerleader" for all the SLC members and is expected to engage members and always be supportive and engaging.
Vice President: The Vice President is responsible for overseeing committees while commuinicating and working with the committee chairs. The Vice President is also responsible for aiding the President of the SLC when necessary.
Secretary: The Secretary position requires organization skills and attention to detail. The secretary takes minutes at every SLC meting and distributes the notes to members via e-mailo and other forms of communication. This position is reponsible for keeping all members up-to-date reguarding meetings and events.
Committee Chairs: Each committee listed above will have a Committee Chair who is responsible for guiding the committee from the idea stage through the execution of the programmed events. These positions are particularly important because the committees are the foundation of the Student Leadership Council
Students interested in joining the SLC must:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the purpose and goals of the SLC
- Have excellent communication skills- verbal and written
- Have a good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher the semester prior
- Be able to attend all training sessions. Training sessions dates are TBD
- Be able to work at the majority of the programs and events.
- Preference s given to those who have demonstrated leadership ability, the ability to work with students, peer group, faculty, and administration.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Shannon Marino:
Shannon Marino -Program Manager
email: email@example.com The Student Leadership Council application