Office of Emergency Management
| Environment, Health & Safety
- Know where you are going before you lift.
- Chose a clear path.
- Increase balance by keeping your feet shoulder width apart.
- One foot should be slightly forward.
- Take a deep breath, and tighten your stomach muscles before you lift.
- Bend at your knees and hips, not your waist.
- Lift using your leg muscles to reduce the load on your back.
- Lifts smoothly, do not jerk as you lift.
- Sudden movement and weight shifts can injure your back.
- Face the load you are lifting.
- Hold the load close to your body at waist height.
- Turn with your feet, not your back, to avoid twisting when lifting.