LSC-Tomball Student Government Association
Now accepting applications for the 2014 Fall Semester!If you would like to be an active voice that makes a difference on campus, please submit your online application by Thursday, September 4, 2014, at 5:00 p.m.
What is SGA?The Student Government Association is a fun, energetic group of students representing the Lone Star College-Tomball student body.
LSC-Tomball SGA / Club Council meetings are held during the fall and spring semesters in room C210 at 11:30 am on the last Monday of every month.
- Monday, September 29
- Monday, October 27
- Monday, November 24
- Monday, January 26, 2015
- Monday, February 23, 2015
- Monday, March 30, 2015
- Monday, April 27, 2015
Officer PositionsPresident: Mark Kinyanjui
The president presides over all meetings and functions and is the voice of the Student Government Association. The president serves as a "cheerleader" for all the SGA members and is expected to engage members and always be supportive and engaging.
Vice President: Rachel Bradshaw
The Vice President is responsible for overseeing committees while communicating and working with the committee chairs. The Vice President is also responsible for aiding the President of the SGA when necessary.
Secretary: Zaeem Khan
The Secretary position requires organization skills and attention to detail. The secretary takes minutes at every SGA meeting and distributes the notes to members via e-mail and other forms of communication. This position is responsible for keeping all members up-to-date regarding meetings and events.
Treasurer: Ann Nguyen
The treasurer is responsible for maintaining accurate financial records for SGA. The treasurer works closely with the club advisor to prepare the budget, record and submit all expenses, and maintain the ledger.
An SGA Member:
- Actively participates in SGA trainings
- Nurtures and promotes a team atmosphere.
- Is highly motivated and energetic.
- Excels at meeting new people.
- Is eager for new challenges and is able to learn from things and apply them quickly.
- Represents LSC-Tomball and the Office of Student Life in the best light.
- Provides motivation for both students and fellow SGA members.
- Evaluates programs and events with fellow SGA members.
- Provides ideas for future programs and events.
- Is a voice for the LSC-Tomball Student.
Why join SGA?
- Making connections with faculty and staff on campus that could aid students in future endeavors.
- The opportunity to build a resume that includes leadership, community service, and team building accomplishments.
- The ability to help plan events on campus and make connections with fellow students.
- The opportunity to represent the LSC-Tomball student body to faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Being a part of a team that incluences and improves the LSC-Tomball campus and student body.
- Opportunity to travel to state and regional conferences.
- Getting involved and making a difference!
The Student Government Association offers five committees comprised of a fun, energetic group of students representing the Lone Star College-Tomball student body.
Activities Committee: Are you interested in marketing or event planning? This committee is responsible for assisting the Office of Student Life and the Student Activities board with planning events on campus for planning and promotion to the actual set-up and assistance at the event. Events include but are not limited to social events, educational events, cultural events, and community service opportunities in addition to the annual Trevorís Choice Awards banquet held in the spring.
Public Relations Committee: Do you have an interest in communications, politics or journalism? This is the committee that provides services on how campus programs and policies are affecting the student body in addition to getting feedback on program events students would come to see on campus. This committee is also responsible for promoting the programs, events and activities the Student Government Association hosts on campus and in the community.
Community Service Committee: Do you enjoy helping others through work and service? This committee gets other SGA members and student organization members, and students at large from across campus involved in making a difference in our community. Whether itís raising money for a good cause or dressing in Halloween costumes and hosting an alternative Halloween event, this is the group that makes a difference.
Club Collaboration Committee: Collaborating with other student organizations on campus is vital to the success of the Student Government Association. This committee works closely with leaders and representatives from other organizations on programs and events. The Club Collaboration Committee also helps to plan the monthly Club Council meetings which are held during the fall and spring semester on the last Monday of every month at 11:30 am. Each meeting consists of a leadership training activity, information exchange, and updates on what is happening on and around campus that affects the LSC-Tomball student body.
Judicial Committee: This committee is tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that the SGA constitution, rules, and procedures are followed.
Students interested in joining the SGA must:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the purpose and goals of the SGA.
- Have excellent communication skills- verbal and written.
- Have a good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher the semester prior.
- Be able to attend all training sessions. Training sessions dates are TBD.
- Be able to work at the majority of the programs and events.
- Preference s given to those who have demonstrated leadership ability, the ability to work with students, peer group, faculty, and administration.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Patrick Gilbert or Shannon Marino: