Additional Dental Hygiene Program Requirements
Effective Fall 2012 for all Health Occupations Programs, Math placement scores on Compass, ASSET, Accuplacer, and THEA will be valid for three (3) years.
- Program Pre-Requisites
- BIOL 2401 Anatomy & Physiology 1
- CHEM 1405 Introduction to Chemistry
- ENGL 1301 Composition & Rhetoric 1
- SOCI 1301 Principles of Sociology
- Meet LSCS Student Success Initiative (SSI) requirements. All Associate degrees require completion of Math 0309, 0310 or higher. To determine your SSI status, see a college advisor.
- HSRT (Health Science Reasoning Test) - time limit, 50 minutes
- Bacterial Meningitis immunization
Students are required to pass a background check. Also, regulations require that students complete the Hepatitis B immunization series prior to the first day of class. This immunization series takes 6 months to complete.
Program Application Available: January 23, 2015 through March 2, 2015
(All applications are due by 4:00 pm, March 2, 2015) Apply
Students admitted to the Health Occupations program may be required to show proof of
medical health insurance coverage.
The Lone Star College-Kingwood Dental Hygiene Program is a competitive acceptance program with acceptance based on multiple factors including, but, not limited to grades, course completions, pre-entrance exam scores and interviews. Admission to the Lone Star College System does not guarantee admission to the dental hygiene program.
The Applicant Must:
Apply to the Lone Star College System (LSCS). If you need assistance, in the application process, please visit Student Services on a LSCS campus (LSC-CyFair; LSC-Kingwood; LSC-Montgomery; LSC-North Harris; LSC-Tomball).
Submit all official transcripts from all colleges or universities outside of LSCS to the LSCS admissions office. Official transcripts must be submitted to and evaluated by LSCS prior to applying to the dental hygiene program in order for the applicant to complete the application. Applicants that apply without submitting official transcripts will not be allowed to complete the application process. Mail transcript to 20000 Kingwood Drive Kingwood, TX 77339 Attention: Office of Admissions
Meet LSCS Student Success Initiative (SSI) requirements. All Associate degrees require completion of Math 0309, 0310 or higher. To determine your SSI status, see a college advisor.
Complete the following prerequisites courses (Pre-requisite courses must be completed by Dec. 31 of the year prior to the year you are applying to attend the dental hygiene program. Ex. Dec. 31, 2014 if applying to attend fall 2015):
- CHEM 1405 Introduction to Chemistry
- SOCI 1301 Introduction to Sociology
- ENGL 1301 Composition & Rhetoric
- BIOL 2401 Anatomy & Physiology 1 (If you have taken the required biology courses for the dental hygiene program, but took them more than 5 years prior to your admission into dental hygiene, please read our Biology Refresher Course Information.
- Maintain a minimum overall 2.0 GPA.
- Complete the Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT) - time limit, 50 minutes. The cost of this test is $15.00 and is the responsibility of the applicant. All applicants must take the HSRT. The test may only be taken one (1) time each admission period and is available January 23, 2015 through 2:00 p.m., March 2, 2015. Register for HSRT
Go to http://www.insightassessment.com/9SampleTest1.html for sample test questions.
Complete the Lone Star College-Kingwood Dental Hygiene Program online application.
Submit a copy of the following to Nicole Khalaf at the LSC-Kingwood Dental Hygiene Program Office, Health & Science Building, Room 118.
- Completed on-line application
- Score sheet from the on-line application. Do not turn in your score sheet and application without your HSRT scores listed. Allow 24-48 business hours for scores to be updated after taking the HSRT.
- Dental Hygiene Practice Score Sheet This score sheet does not include the interview component of the final selection process.
- Selection Process:
- Applicants for admission will be ranked according to the Application Scoring Chart and the top 24 applicants will be invited to interview. In the event of a tie between the 24th applicant and applicants below in the ranking, all applicants with that score will be extended an interview.
- Admission to the program will be extended to the top 15 applicants after the interview process. Application Scoring Chart = 65% + Interview =35%. In the case of a tie, the following tie breakers will be used in order: academic degree earned; overall gpa.
- Background Check
- CPR Certification
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance
- Documentation of Current Immunizations: MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis), Hepatitis B, Negative TB Test, Varicella
Lone Star College System Policy is consistent with Texas law as to requirements and admission of any resident or non-resident student. For admission and tuition purposes, residency is defined within Texas Education Code §54.052.
In addition, LSCS will notify students prior to, but not as a condition or requirement of admission, that health care facilities will require students to have a Social Security number or a Visa as a condition of being assigned to a clinical facility. Students who are unable to complete the LSCS health program clinical skills requirement will not be able to complete the program due to a lack of clinical placement.
Additionally, LSCS will notify students that a Social Security number or a Visa may be required for a background check, and may also be required for taking the licensing examination upon completion of program requirements.