Leadership North Houston
What is Leadership North Houston?
Leadership North Houston (LNH) was formed in 1995 when several area Chambers of Commerce and the college system partnered together to meet the need for a leadership program in the north Houston area. LNH is governed by a Board of Directors made up of two representatives from each of the following sponsoring organizations:
- Acres Home Chamber for Business and Economic Development, Inc.
- Community Chamber of East Montgomery County
- Cy-Fair Houston Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Tomball Area Chamber of Commerce
- Houston Intercontinental Chamber of Commerce
- Houston NW Chamber of Commerce
- Lake Houston Area Chamber of Commerce
- Lone Star College System
- North Houston Association
The program begins in late August with an Orientation followed by a two-day Opening Retreat in late September. Day-long sessions are held monthly from October through May covering topics such as education, cultural arts, economic development, health and human services and more. Participants in the program should achieve the following:
- Learn more about the key issues facing the community
- Develop relationships with other influential leaders in the Houston area
- Make a difference in the future of his/her community
- Emerge as a leader rather than a follower
- Develop an increased knowledge of leadership styles to better serve his/her current organizations and communities
The program curriculum also includes a leadership skills enhancement component which is designed to strengthen a participant's foundation as a leader to achieve personal goals and contribute to the success of their organization. Participants are encouraged to exchange ideas, experiences and best practices as part of the learning process. The Leadership Development Program utilizes an active-learning approach and emphasizes growth in the following key elements of leadership:
- Leadership Development Assessment
- Interpersonal Skills
- Personal Accountability
- Influencing Others
- Goal Achievement
The selection process allows for 30 participants to be chosen from the emerging and existing leaders who apply for the program. All applicants must be nominated by an LNH Alumni, LNH or LNHAA Board of Directors. Following completion of Leadership North Houston, program graduates are encouraged to join the Leadership North Houston Alumni Association.
The total investment for the entire ten-month program is $1,200, which can be paid by the individual and/or their employer. This fee covers all program expenses including materials, meals and any special travel that may be required. Some scholarships are available.