| Research Guides
| Research Guides - North Harris
Starting a Small Business Guide - LSC-North Harris
Keywords and Search Strategy
- Brainstorm about the keywords that best represent the main idea of your topic. Think of synonyms and related terms.
- keywords to find general articles or books on starting a business:
staring a business | business start-up | entrepreneurship
- keywords to find books on specialized business topics:
business plans | business and marketing | business and financing
- Think about the type of business you would like to open. If you need ideas, browse library books and websites on starting a business (take a look at Entrepreneur's startup kits).
- keywords to find books or articles on starting a business in a particular field or industry:
business and day care | child day care | elderly day care
business and cosmetology | business and hair salon | business and hair styling
Find books, e-books, DVDs, and more.
Use the Library Catalog
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "request first available copy" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
In-Print books are located in the HB through HJ sections of the shelves on the third floor of the library.
- Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands (doing business in other countries, or with persons from other countries)
- Encyclopedia of Consumer Brands (3rd floor Reference, HF 5415.3 E527 1994)
- Hoover's Handbook of Private Companies (3rd floor Reference, HG 4057. A28616 2011)
- Hoover's Handbook of American Business (3rd floor Reference, HG 4057. A28617 2011)
- D&B Regional Business Directory (3rd floor Reference, HG 4058. H68 D86 2011 )
- How to Setup Your Own Small Business
- How to Write a Business Plan
- The SBA Loan Book
- Creating a Successful Marketing Strategy for your Small Business
The library has a variety of handbooks on starting your small business in a particular field such as cosmetology, gardening, bakery, recording studio, and so much more.
General Business Sites
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) - Find the industry classification code for your business.
- U.S. Small Business Administration SBA.gov - Best place to start! Find information on starting and managing a business, finding a mentor, writing a business plan, financing, business law & regulations, marketing, licenses & permits, and much more.
- Houston Business Solutions Center (formerly One Stop Business Center) getting started packet online
- Greater Houston Partnership
- LSCS Small Business Development Center
- University of Houston Small Business Development Center
- Small Business Assistance from the Office of Governor Rick Perry: Economic & Tourism Provides an overview on getting started, legal structure & name, federal, state and local business tax responsibilities, business licenses and permits, and employer requirements.
Online Business News Magazines
Permits, Licenses, and other Legal Considerations
Check with your local government agency, perhaps the city or county to find out about local permits that you will need. You can also check with local business development centers. Check with your industry or trade associations to find out about other permits or certifications that you will need to be able to do the type of business or services.
Identify your potential customers by location. Learn basic demographic information to target your marketing campaign.
ZIP Codes in North Houston and Montgomery County:
- Aldine-North Loop-Greenspoint —77016, 022, 026, 028, 032, 037, 038, 039, 050, 060, 073, 076, 078, 086, 088, 091, 093, 396
- FM 1960-Spring-Klein —77014, 066, 067, 068, 090, 373, 379, 388, 389
- Humble-Atascocita-Northeast —77336, 337, 338, 346, 347, 357, 358, 365, 372, 390, 391, 396
- Northwest-Cy-Fair —77040, 041, 064, 065, 069, 070, 095, 429, 433, 447, 484
- Tomball-Magnolia —77353, 354, 355, 362, 375
- South Montgomery County —77380, 381, 382, 384, 385, 386
- North Montgomery County -- 77301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 327, 328, 333, 356, 378
Business and Association Directories
Find associations, councils, societies, and organizations in your trade or industry. Such organizations can help you stay informed about trends in your industry, legislation, continuing education, required and/or recommended certifications, employment, business leads for your small business marketing and networking.
Encyclopedia of Associations - Reference HS17 .G334 2002 3 Vols.
Use a web browser to search for such organizations, or browse the following resources:
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?