| Research Guides
| Research Guides - North Harris
Nursing Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
Sites for Nursing Students
General Clinical Sites
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - From the NIH, Clinical Practice Guidelines, Quick Reference Guides for Clinicians, and Consumer Guides.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - The journals Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and Emerging Infectious Diseases are on this site as well as extensive guidelines on infection control, immunizations, and hazardous substances.
- Aetna's Intelihealth offers content from Harvard Medical School.
- WebMD includes a broad range of health information as well as some interesting features, like an online symptom checker (meant for consumers).
Major Nursing Sites
- Allnurses.com - Search this site using their search engine and go directly to their links to web sites for nursing and diseases. This site also has a collection of medical search tools.
- American Nurses Association's NursingWorld
- NursingCenter.com - from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (publisher of the American Journal of Nursing)
- Nursing, History, and Health Care - from the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Diseases and Disorders
- The LSC-NH Library research guide for Diseases, Disorders, Conditions & Syndromes provides a complete guideline to scholarly resources
- MedlinePlus - a database maintained by the NIH's National Library of Medicine, it offers much of its content in Spanish as well as English
- NIH (National Institutes of Health - Connect here to get to the many institutes (e.g., NCI, NIMH, NIDDK) that fall under the jurisdiction of the NIH. Specialty sites for various diseases and disorders offer a rich repository of information. Use the NIH search engine to find specific information.
- NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) - contains hard-to-find information about diseases that afflict relatively small numbers of people.
- MedlinePlus - a database maintained by the NIH's National Library of Medicine, offers much of its content in Spanish and some information in 47 other languages.
- CareNotes from the Micromedex database provides patient infomation about drugs in 15 different languages. When you reach the front page of Micromedex, click on CareNotes System.
- Krames Online is provided by the American Academy of Physician Assistants; it offers disease/disorder information, medication information, and a video collection, all aimed at patients.
- Films on Demand provides some patient education videos; be careful to choose the ones meant for consumers (e.g., "Chronic Kidney Disease: Are You at Risk?") and not the ones meant for professionals (e.g., "Caring for People with Renal Impairment").
- MayoClinic.com, updated daily and sponsored by the noted Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, provides health updates and preventative care information.
- National Council against Health Fraud, a non-profit health agency that locates fraud, misinformation and quackery as public health problems, features position papers and links to information on erroneous and misleading health claims.
- Toll-free Numbers for Patient Support Organizations - Provides phone numbers for patient support groups and links to related Web sites.
Resumes, Cover Letters, etc.
Use the Health & Medicine Research Databases on/off campus to locate nursing-related articles.
If Lone Star College-North Harris Library does not have the journal you seek, the article may be obtained through interlibrary loan.
APA Format Guides
Formatting a Research Paper in Microsoft Word