| Research Guides
| Research Guides - LSC-CyFair
Current Events Sources - LSC-CyFair
See also: CQ Researcher, Opposing Viewpoints, and Issues & Controversies listed in the next section.
Magazine, Newspaper, & Journal Articles
below = Lone Star College System college users access off campus with valid college ID/library card number
Titles marked as free web = access without a library card
All other titles = off campus by HCPL & Lone Star College System library card holders
(EBSCO) Articles from journals, magazines, newspapers on a variety of topics.
(CQ Press) Analysis of current and controversial issues of the day.
(Google.com) Search/view news articles from the last 30 days from 4500 plus news sources.
Issues & Controversies
(Facts on File News Services) Controversial topics studied in-depth, pro & con.
(EBSCO) Full-text articles from magazines & journals, and other sources including pamphlets, books, biographies, reports, etc.
(Thomson Gale) An electronic version of the books which take a topic and look at both sides of an issue plus links to full-text articles in magazines and newspapers.
National Newspapers Core
(ProQuest) Full text of Christian Science Monitor, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post with 20+ years of coverage.
Statistical Abstract of the U.S.
Comprehensive summary of statistics about the United States population, industries and more. Browse broad subject categories or search to locate statistics or use as a guide to more information in print and on the internet. Sources include the United States government, as well as commercial publishers.
Books, Videos, Etc.
Search for library materials in the:
eBook Collection (formerly NetLibrary)
NOTE: Request items online from library catalog with a Harris County Public Library Card or Lone Star College–CyFair Photo ID/Library Card. See instructions on getting a library card.
Select the "series keyword" option to search for current issues books in the following series from the library catalog.
- Contemporary World Issues
- Current Controversies
- Opposing Viewpoints
- Taking Sides Clashing Views on Controversial Issues
Selected Web Sites
- Brookings Institution Topics (from the independent, nonprofit public policy research organization covers international political and social topics)
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports prepared by the Library of Congress (browse and/or search for topics)
- Frontline (PBS program offers in-depth discussion on controversial issues in their current programs or previous reports)
- Hot Topics (compilation of Internet sites on several current topics from reference librarians at St. Ambrose University)
- Issue Organizations (from Project Vote Smart, a national, non-partisan organization that provides citizens political issues information includes links to various organizations)
- Online News Hour-Nation (Note: Click on topic links at top of page for more coverage from PBS)
- Public Agenda Online: Public Opinion and Public Policy (from Public Agenda, "a nonpartisan, nonprofit public opinion research and citizen education organization" includes discussion of political and social issues)
Public Opinion Polls
Find examples of MLA, APA, or Chicago style format on the Citation Help page to give credit to information sources used in an assignment.