| The Honors College at Lone Star College
| The Honors College-LSC CyFair
About Honors Courses
Honors Courses at LSC-CyFair offer an enhanced college experience for students who have a high ability to do scholarly work. Honors students enjoy classes conducted as seminars centered around open discussions, collaborative learning and active participation. Honors Faculty have been specifically selected because of their dedication to the principles of Honors education, including developing a mentor relationship with each student in his/her class.
Honors credit is earned through Honors courses or contracts with faculty members who are committed to an open-ended approach to learning. Students have many opportunities to contribute extensively and creatively through small group interaction, seminars, laboratories, oral reports, special research topics, informed discussion and both individual and group projects.
Spring 2014 Honors Courses
ENGL 1302.5057 – Composition & Rhetoric II
F 10:15 am - 1:15 pm
HIST 1302.5033 – U.S. History Since 1877
TTH 10:40 am - 12:05 pm
GOVT 2305.5008 – Federal Government
MWF 9:10 am - 10:05 am
Proposed Fall 2014 Honors Courses
ENGL1301 - Composition & Rhetoric I
ENGL 1302 - Composition & Rhetoric II
GOVT 2305 - Federal Government
GOVT 2306 - Texas Politics
HIST 1301 - U.S. History to 1877
HIST 1302 - U.S. History Since 1877
MATH 1314 - College Algebra
MATH 2412 - Precalculus
MATH 2413 - Calculus I
PSYC 2301 - General Psychology
SPCH 1315 - Public Speaking
About Honors Contracts
Honors students that are not able to enroll in Honors Courses have the option to enter into an Honors Contract with an approved instructor in an approved course. After submitting an Honors College Application
and enrolling in regularly scheduled classes, the Honors student must contact the Honors Director to request an Honors Contract in a specific course. You MUST contact the Honors Director first
, who will then contact your instructor. If approved, the student must download and complete an Honors Contract Form
with instructor and Honors Director signatures included. After the contract is signed, the student will work closely with the faculty member throughout the semester to earn Honors Credit in the respective course. Honors students can complete more than one contract per semester.
Honors Contract Requirements:
- The course must NOT be regulary offered as an Honors course
- The professor must be approved by the Honors Council
- The student and faculty member must meet at least 6 times during the semester
- The student and faculty member must work together to complete and present a well-designed research project on Honors Day
- The student must maintain at least a B average in the course
Involvement in the Honors Program can result in several levels of formal recognition for students.
Email CyFairHonors@Lonestar.edu for enrollment approval. You must be an Honors College member to enroll in Honors Courses and complete Honors Contracts.
- Students successfully completing an honors course will receive appropriate designation on their transcripts.
- Students who complete 15 hours of honors credit with a 3.5 GPA will be recognized at commencement and will receive the designation of Honors Program Graduate on their transcript.
- Students completing 9 hours of honors credit with a 3.5 GPA and 25 hours of community service will receive the designation of Honors Scholar Graduate on their transcript.
- Students who complete 15 hours of honors credit with a 3.5 GPA and 25 hours of community service will be recognized at commencement and will receive the designation of Honors Scholar with Distinction on their transcript.