ESOL Grammar Workshop 4
Course Description: Students continue the study of grammatical structures required for quality oral and written academic communication. They develop skills in understanding form, meaning and usage of complex grammatical structures including gerunds and infinitives, conditionals and complex sentences with noun, adjective and adverb clauses.
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to
1. Discriminate between the use of the past perfect, past progressive, and past perfect progressive.
2. Use modal auxiliaries in present, past, progressive and passive.
3. Identify and use verbals: participles, gerunds and infinitives.
4. Identify and use causative verbs.
5. Express complex relationship through the appropriate use of adjective, noun and adverb clauses.
6. Use conditionals.
7. Use direct and indirect speech.
8. Construct sentences using coordination, subordination and transitions (conjunctive adverbs)
Other possible outcomes for this level:
9. Reduce adjective, adverb clauses to adjective, adverb phrases.
10. Distinguish and punctuate restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses and phrases.
11. Identify and use phrasal verbs.